ON TREND PRINT DESIGNS SS18


It's been a while since writing on this blog, but with less than 6 month's left of my education I thought I would try my hardest to document it more. I'm still offically on holiday leave from university as consolidation week came straight after the christmas period - with a deadline looming and FINAL MAJOR PROJECT around the corner, I wanted to gather some inspiration together.

I have decided to use my FMP to create a very commercial portfolio in hope to meet the desires of possible employer's after graduation, with this in mind I gathered visual inspiration from a shopping centre local to myself today. Looking at interior prints in high end and high street shops to see what should be expected of me, Here is what I found:







Hand drawn designs inspired by nature and mark making seemed to cover the soft furnishing shelves of every home section of all the department stores I visited. Each with different signature style's and colours. There was little netrual colour to be seen as each design was bold and eye catching. Larger scale designs are making an apperance rather than dainty floral repeats which have been on trend in previous year's. Although I got no photographs, I noticed that within the fashion print's it was mostly based on floral again and also mark making, abstract painterly lines and sqiggly shapes appeared in shops such as jigsaw and oasis. It also seems like consumers are stripping back to basics, buying quality over quantity, the decision making process is much longer and thoroughly thought out compared to the fashion industry. A respect for well created luxury designs is making a well deserved come back. 

I also picked up a couple of my favourite interior magazines Elle Decor and LivingEtc whilst I was out. As my current project is to create a trend pack for SS or AW 19/20, I wanted to start my research by looking at past and current trend's as I understand that unlike fashion trends, interior trends evolve season by season. To get an idea of what is on-trend right now will help me with my research.


Hand Drawn Aspects




As mentioned above, hand painted aspects of design are already showing popular in shops right now, however this will evolve even more so in SS18 with more mark making and water colour making more apperences within wallpapers and soft furnishings. The first picture above shows the connections made from fashion to interiors with mark making showing via the catwalk for Mulberry 2017 and then transfering into home interiors. This is where most interior trends come from.

Bold Cluttered Patterns




Bold eye catching and over powering designs are making a statement within feature walls mostly in commercial spaces or contemporary spaces. This can link to WGSN's interior trend reports encouter culture SS17 and Pyscho-tropical SS18 which shows the evolution of interior trend's. These type of designs give a bit of freedom to commercial designers as there are less commercial restraints due to the creativivity of the design's. 


Back to Basics

































In SS17, bold painted walls in jeweled purples and emerald green were the big trend, however in SS18 it shows that we will be going back to basics and using a more muted neutral colours for the walls in our home's. Interior trend's do not go from one end of the spectrum to the other, image the previous SS17 trend colours muted and dulled down to give you this seasons colour's. Muted stone colours with a hint of lavender for example. For furnishing's, natural inspiration shows it's consistency, using raw materials and forms as inspiration for shapes and texture's.

From one end of bold colourful designs to calm collected raw design's, we see trends evolve from 2017 and become more enpowered and out there in 2018. This inspiration provides insight for both my theory trend pack and FMP idea's. I feel it is so important to just go out there and see what is going on in the shops currently. You need to see what is happening within the present to try to understand what will be happening in the future. 

As consumers become more aware and awake to sustainability and the effect of fast fashion and un-sustainable design. As they become more informed of the health benefits of natural interior products for their mental wellbeing. It is clear that this is becoming popular with in the home environment. Maybe this will be what my trend pack can be based around. Expect many more blog post's which will include all the research for my trend pack and post's on the developments for my FMP also.

Thanks for reading, B x 

No comments