Working in LARGE scale


Working in large scale is something I have had a dabble at before but never really got into it. I have previously worked at large scale when I was doing my GCSE art exam and in my first year at Barnsley college when we worked as a large group to produce a creative and religious mural for the local hospitals chapel. 

http://www.barnsleyhospital.nhs.uk/news/diversity-and-unity-celebrated-as-local-students-get-arty-for-hospital-chapel/
Yes I am the one with the awfully bright red hair...

Since this day I have not worked large scale. As it has recently been the christmas holidays and I have been living at my family home over the holidays I was craving for creativity, art and to express myself through drawing however I had not taken any drawing media or sketchbooks home with me. (I know.. I'm a terrible design student)

The first day back I was welcomed to a demo in the print work shop which was all about working large scale. Firstly we was shown some examples of work which was created by hand for furnishings. As our new brief is interior based and I was craving to get creative and messy, I was more than happy to get stuck in.

To start with, I got two A2 pieces of paper and masking taped them together to create a surface to work on. I wanted to get so stuck into it so I went down the messy route. I gathered some materials I may need such as pigments (block printing pigments), Bubble wrap, rollers, sticks etc...

I got to work... Firstly I squeezed my pigments into a tray and used the roller to roll the pigments onto some bubble wrap, I was interested to see the texture it would come out with. I used a clean roller to put pressure onto the bubble wrap when printing it. I was very happy to see how the results came out and decided to go crazy and make the whole of my design background with this texture. Focusing on using different pressure for different effects.




After letting loose on the bubble wrap I decided to put some visuals on top. As it was the first day back at university and we had only just been given the brief, This demo was not really related visually to any projects so I decided to stick with simple leaf shapes to put on top of this textural background. I used a stick/skewer and black thick pigment to do this. I then used my fingers (with gloves on) to get messy and create a bit of depth around the leaf designs by sticking my fingers in the pigment filled tray and going crazy on this huge amount of paper.


I am really happy with the results of this workshop/demo and it really fuelled my creativity. I am seriously thinking about going down the route of interior surface design rather than fashion. I guess this project I am doing now (my first interior based project) will be my decider on my future career. Up to now I am really happy with where my mind set is... I am feeling very creative and am excited to be working large scale with a more arty vibe. Its where I want to be at the moment!



No comments