WHY I HAVE DECIDED TO SKIP PLACEMENT YEAR.

I have always been a dreamer, I remember way back when I was younger; one week I wanted to be a interior designer the next I wanted to be a photographer, it would change on a weekly basis. Family if you are reading, you will only know this too well. Every job I dreamed of one day calling a career was creative, I have always been the girl with a passion for creation. From a young age I loved art and can clearly remember an art task at primary school where we had to go find some twigs and a couple of leaf's to observational draw and I smashed it, The teacher was shocked at my skills at such a young age and I remember feeling amazing at what I had accomplished and knew that I wanted to feel like that more often. 




Now at university studying printed textile design in my second year, It get's a bit more stressful than just drawing twigs ( a lot more). I had my career plan all set out(ish), I wanted to design, I knew that for sure. Maybe work for a well known company such as H&M or Topshop in their in-house design team. Working my way up to earning more money than I knew what to do with. I knew for sure that I would be able to do it, I put my self under a lot of pressure to do well and it always pay's off even though sometimes that means getting my self run-down and majorly stressed out. Until recently, A new project came about which wasn't the 'normal' womenswear fashion type of project like I was used to. This project was surface design, for interiors and I fell in love with it straight away. That was it, A new career plan was set, I wanted to design surfaces, I wanted to focus on interiors. I had changed my mind again. I was very confused.

Time to look for placements, I spent a long time preparing my creative and professional CV and online portfolio to look amazing, It must have worked as I received great feedback and a first class grade. I was set to apply for suitable placements, little did I know how much of a struggle it was going to be. By this time I had already signed a contract for myself to move in with my boyfriend (hi Ben) in a house in Huddersfield along with 8 other guys and gals (which I am so excited for!!). This restricted my placement search quite a lot, It meant I had to be in commuting distance from Huddersfield, which is fine as Leeds, Bradford and Manchester and just a short train ride away, However it also meant I had to find a full time paid placement for me to be able to afford rent in the new house. This restricted me a lot and I applied for every placement under the sun and it even got to the stage where I was applying for placements I did not even want to do, Placements I knew would make me miserable working there for a year just so I could afford to pay rent and get that experience and contacts I need to set the foundations of my career once I have graduated. It became a stressful, upsetting and disheartening journey of rejection phone calls and emails. 

Placement year could be the best year of your life, There are plenty of placements in London and even abroad such as Amsterdam, Switzerland etc. (Top tip: save up for placement year!!) Placement year on the textile practice course was one of the main reasons I wanted to come to Huddersfield university, I wanted to travel, be confident and grow as a person. Gaining experience and knowledge to set me out for an amazing job. But right now, In MY life thats not right for me. I think I was struggling most because I was pushing myself on what my mind was telling me what I set out to do when I first got to uni. But in reality, Its not right for me right now. I finally got it, I finally understood and my mind suddenly felt clear again. 

I have decided to go straight into final year, I am over the moon at my decision. In a way I am also proud, I've stepped up and made a decision that was hard for myself and put myself on a path suited to me and not influenced by what others are doing. I am still undecided on what route I will take, It might be interiors it might be fashion. Im not making no more final decision's and I will see what final year has got to give and see which I enjoy the most. Like I said before; I have always been set out to have a creative career. I push my self and work so hard. So I have decided that I think I would like to set up my own business after I have graduated. How exciting is that!! 

In 3 weeks time, I will have broken up from university until September when I come back as a final year. I have decided to spend the summer being as productive as I possibly can. I want to pass my driving theory test and start some more driving lessons (if my student loan will stretch that far), I want to concentrate on uploading more posts on this blog and also put my camera to more use and figure out how to use it without the Auto button. I will also be looking for small internships with local independent fashion lines/shops to get some experience and gain knowledge of running a business and also gain contacts as I think this will benefit me majorly in the long run. 

I am finally in such a happy place with my life, I have an amazing support system of family, friends and boyfriend, they have all been so understanding and supporting of what I want to do in life. I am actually so excited to get into final year and set up the foundations of what could be my own business adventure. It sure is going to be an adventure to say the least!! I am looking forward to meeting new people in final year too, as well as putting in all my effort to do well and make the last year of uni really count. One step closer to actually being a "full-time" adult and although I am sh*tting my self, I will be so glad to graduate and start earning my way in life. Living on a student budget is not for me!!

I hope this blogpost has; Firstly, helped you as a university student (if you are one) to understand that it is not one rule for all, every journey is individual and a once in a life time thing, take it with a tight grip and squeeze out every opportunity you can that is right for you!! Secondly, You as a reader, To get to know me a little bit more and to know my journey ( you can look back at all my old blog post's to see my journey from college to university!!). Finally, You as a family member or friend, To say a big thank you for your support and to show how grateful I am!

Don't forget I will be uploading a lot more content on my blog more often, So don't forget to come back and have a read. 

For now, Be creative and stay messy!!

Becca x 

No comments