Surface Design Show London 2016

The Surface Design Show London is the biggest and most talked about show for creatives such as my self that have a passion for surfaces, material innovation, textiles etc. Unfortunately this year I could not go but thankfully due to the University of Huddersfield exhibiting there for their 10th anniversary which my future thinking tutor was in charge of. Therefore, Lucky me got a whole lecture of photo's and information on what happened and what new materials was there. 

Before my current project which I am working with Orangebox with, I had never got into working with hard surfaces. Surface design was not introduced to myself. However now it has been introduced to me, I don't think I will ever look back. Working on hard materials as well as fabric gives me so much experimental freedom in my own work, I feel like it has injected the excitement back into textiles for me. A long time ago textiles was just a hobby - Now I am doing a textiles degree it has taken that hobby and turned it more into hard work to get the grades I need for a career that I will love. I am really passionate about design and textiles but it was starting to grind on me and was starting to feel like a chore. Involving new surfaces in my work has gave me the confidence and happiness to enjoy my hobby once again!

The pictures below from the surface design show have been taken by Jo Harris, My tutor at the University of Huddersfield and I am not claiming to own them. 

















After seeing the photo's in the lecture from Jo, My tutor, I know I am defiantly going to go to all the design shows I can possibly manage in the future as I think it is very important to keep in the know about new materials and concepts. I have not posted all the photo's as they are not mine to post and I do not think that would be fair, However I have posted the photo's which are most inspiring to myself and this project and which I shall be researching into more. 

I hope you enjoyed this blog post.

Stay Creative, Be Messy!

No comments