HONEST ADVICE ON GOING INTO PLACEMENT YEAR


Placement year’s are an optional third year on a four year (sandwich course) which are to be used to go out into the big open world on your own and gain work experience. Sounds perfect really, You get a year out of an intense 3 year studying, You get to gain employability skills that will majorly benefit you after graduation and most importantly you get to understand and learn what you like about the ins and outs of the different parts of the fashion and textiles industry.


However, The scenario was different for myself. But we won’t get into that!! Because I would be ranting for days. We are all about positive vibes in this post. So here are some tips and advice on placement year from myself…

SAVE SAVE SAVE…
Yes thats right, some how you need to save in your second year. I know how intense it is and I know how full on it is, I don't know where you going to find a spare time for a job if you aiming for firsts and doing all that work but some how you need to save. You only get a 1/3 of your student loan in your placement year so thats not even enough to move out and be able to afford rent. Even harder so as 90% of fashion and textiles placements are in London. I would suggest skimping even more so in second year and saving any change you have in a money box and DO NOT touch it until you need to!! 

RESEARCH…
Do you research properly, What kind of placement would you enjoy? Talk to others about their placements and find out what companies actually offer them. Check out their websites and look if they have any intern vacancies, if not email them professionally with your CV, a cover letter and a link to your online portfolio. It cant hurt and if they don't offer placements or don't have availability at the moment they might know a company who does. Fact is your probably going to have to move away so look into room shares weather its with people you know or people you don't know, its defo the cheapest option! Talk to you career tutor about this stuff, they are really helpful.

DON’T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET…
Do numerous placements if you can afford it, fit the most of this opportunity into the time you have got. You will learn a lot!! It will build your confidence for final year majorly. 

ENJOY IT
Don’t waste this opportunity if you have chosen to take it. I really wish I had traveled the world and done loads of placements and got loads of work experience but realistically that would never have happened for me. Even though I am technically on my placement year now, even now I know what to expect, finding a placement is still hard and I’m more focused on looking for a job to earn my way through life rather than live like a student its soon hard!! 

DON’T FEEL PRESSURED!!
I know placement/careers tutors ram this option down your neck but do not feel like its an option you have to take, not all universities have this option and yes it does help your employability but way I see it is the graduates from other universities still get jobs and they never even had a placement year option. If its not for you and you know you will be unhappy or you know you cant afford it or you don't want to move away then don't its simple as that. Do what makes you happy!! 
and most of all DO NOT COMPARE YOUR SELF TO OTHERS! Its a personal journey university, remember that! 

Some people must think I'm crazy - I might seem like I'm not making the most of my placement year but fact is even though I love fashion and textiles and its been my passion from day one, there just isn't any jobs local to me in which my degree will come in handy - Thats been proven to me when trying to find a placement. Im not giving up I will get my degree and I’m so excited to get back into final year to be busy again doing what I love and getting messy in the studio!! But the way I see it, its a personal journey and I wanna do something for me. For the past 5 years I’ve happy and sad cried over essays, assignments, projects, technical files and I've achieved so much but it already seems like a blissful memory and I’m heading back in September so what is it going to be like a couple of years after I’ve graduated. Yes I would love to get a job in the fashion and textiles industry but I’m not upping and moving just for a job when I’ve built a life for myself here. The way I see it is I do what makes me happy and a job is a job, to some people its just to pay the bills but to me its more than that I want to have a job I enjoy and I’m good at. Thinking about the future is so exciting but I’ve come to terms that my degree might not come in handy straight away and I need to focus on another passion of mine, its refreshing, its more me, It’s a complete career change but using the rest of my placement year to focus on gaining more qualifications for myself is the best thing for me and my career at the moment. Ever story is different and this is mine. I couldn't be more excited about it if I tried!! 


No comments