FINAL YEAR IS UPON ME


Browsing through Facebook today when it popped up on my memories - 3 years ago today I was getting the last bits ready for my final major project exhibition at barnsley college  and I was extremely excited to be heading onto a new adventure at Huddersfield University. Its flown so quickly, it's such an odd time, the people from my year who went straight into final year have finished university for good and I'm so excited to go to the degree show and see how much amazing work they have produced. The people who went on to have a placement year/gap year are all just receiving their emails with information about our induction to final year. It all feels so real now, surprisingly exciting though. The past year has been up and down with no real set routine for me, yes some people who had amazing placements and experienced some great opportunities this past year will have such inspiring stories to share when we all get back to class however all the real good placements are down London and if you cannot afford to live there on 1/3 of your student loan then its not really going to be that great. Some people like my self just needed the time away from education, I'm so glad I did. It's been hard but it's really opened my eyes. 

During this placement year, I've set up my own handmade interior business then decided it wasn't what I wanted to do, moved in and then back out of a pub whilst working there too (managed it alone for a brief time too - how fun that was), I've worked for illamasqua and realised even though an amazing opportunity that it's not what I want right now as I've started my own freelancing makeup business which I love more than anything in the world. Makeup is my passion and its something I am good at. I love working on a weekend making people feel beautiful and meeting new clients who become good friends. I have such big plans and dreams for my little business but for now I'm just enjoying it. I've used my gap year to focus on gaining confidence and qualifications in makeup by doing a makeup course. I soon realised when trying to find work experience for placement year that there is nothing suitable in my area. This gives me heart palpitations when thinking about what I'm going to do when I graduate, I do not want to move away and maybe I won't even want to carry on my career in textiles just because theres nothing suitable around here. Makeup is my calling and that is what I will carry on doing, I just love it. So as you see it has been one roller-coaster of a year. 

Since receiving the email for my induction to final year I have been super excited to get back into a routine, back to the grind, the hard work and mostly to see all my girls I've missed them so much. So heres to going back to the adventure and working my arse off to get the degree I've worked towards for the past 5 year. Don't give up on hard work! 


No comments